By Barry Dolowich
Q: I got whacked back I filed my tax acknowledgment for aftermost year and I would like to abstain the aforementioned fate for this year. I am a aide for a high-end restaurant and my employer allocated tips to me on my 2017 Anatomy W-2 causing me to owe a ton of taxes. As a angled employee, what am I declared to address to my employer and what annal do I accept to keep?
A: Advertisement your tip assets accurately is not difficult. You allegation do three things:
1. Accumulate a circadian record,
2. Address tips to your employer, and
3. Address all tips you accept on your assets tax return.
You allegation accumulate a circadian tip almanac so you can:
· Address your tips accurately to your employer,
· Address your tips accurately on your tax return, and
· Prove your tip assets if your acknowledgment is anytime questioned or audited.
There are two means to accumulate a circadian tip record. You can either address advice about your tips in a tip diary, or accumulate copies of abstracts that appearance your tips, such as restaurant bills and acclaim agenda allegation slips. You should accumulate your circadian tip almanac with your claimed records, not with your employer.
If you accumulate a tip account (my recommendation!), you can use the IRS Forms 4070, Employee’s Address of Tips to Employer, and 4070A, Employee’s Circadian Almanac of Tips. To accept a accumulation of Forms 4070 and 4070A, ask your employer, your accountant, or access IRS Publication 1244. However, if you can not access the forms, you can actualize your own adequate annal by creating a agenda including your name, your employer’s name, and the name of the business if it is altered from your employer’s name. Then, anniversary workday, address the date and the afterward information:
· Banknote tips you get anon from barter or added employees,
· Tips from acclaim agenda allegation barter that your employer pays you,
· The bulk of any noncash tips you get, such as tickets, passes, or added items of value,
· The bulk of tips you paid out to added advisers through tip pools or tip splitting, or added arrangements, and the names of the advisers to whom you paid the tips.
· Address the net tips you accustomed to your employer at the end of anniversary pay period.
You allegation address tips to your employer so that:
· Your employer can abstain federal and accompaniment assets taxes and amusing aegis and Medicare taxes,
· Your employer can address the absolute bulk of your balance to the Amusing Aegis Administration (which affects your allowances back you retire or if you become disabled, or your family’s allowances if you die), and
· You can abstain the amends for not advertisement tips to your employer (you may be accountable to a amends of 50 percent of the amusing aegis and Medicare taxes you owe).
Your employer may admeasure tips to you if your appear tips were beneath than your allotment of 8 percent of aliment and cooler sales. If your employer allocates tips to you, they are apparent alone in box 8 of your Anatomy W-2. You allegation address allocated tips on your acknowledgment unless either of the afterward exceptions applies:
1. You kept a circadian tip almanac as appropriate beneath rules explained above, or
2. Your tip almanac is incomplete, but it shows that your absolute tips were added than the tips you appear to your employer additional the allocated tips.
If you allegation address allocated tips on your tax return, you allegation pay assets tax, and amusing aegis and Medicare taxes on the allocated tips.
Over the accomplished cardinal of years, the IRS has been on a attack to “encourage” angled advisers to appropriately and accurately address their tip income. Because tip assets generally is accustomed in the anatomy of cash, advisers are tempted to under-report their income. However, the IRS can calmly appraisal any under-reported tip assets by utilizing the allotment of tips per answerable sales and applying this allotment to the sales attributable to your absolute chump sales (which includes both allegation and banknote sales) – So, accumulate organized and authentic records!
Barry Dolowich is a certified accessible accountant in Monterey. He can be accomplished at 831-372-7200, P.O. Box 710, Monterey 93942-0710 or [email protected]
The Latest Trend In Income Tax W112 Form | Income Tax W12 Form – income tax w2 form
| Delightful for you to my website, on this time I am going to provide you with concerning income tax w2 form